Day 88: Climbing the Mountain

I have to say, I'm really looking forward to 2013. This past year wasn't horrible, but it wasn't all that great. It definitely feels like there were more downs than ups. More hills than valleys. More challenges than rewards. Of course it's all about perspective too.

I know from experience that I'm in the process of climbing my mountain. There have been a lot of mountains so far in my life that have needed climbing. What's hard is that I can't see the top from where I am, so I never quite know how close I am. What's great is that once I've reached the top, I've been thankful for the journey and the struggles I had to go through to get there. The view from up there is quite insightful and I'm able to see how various events intertwined in such a way to continually move me forward and upwards, making progress even if I couldn't see it.

The place I'm in right now is familiar. Patience is not one of my strengths and I'm doing my best to not put my life on hold and depend on other things to happen in order for me to be happy. I'm trying to enjoy my life for everything it is right now and not wishing for anything to be different. It's a challenge. The only thing that truly helps with this is time. And knowing that, helps... a little.

There's no shortage of things I'd like to work on. Being a better cook (and dare I say it... finding some enjoyment while doing it?), organizing my house, getting rid of everything I don't need, writing a book, being healthy, finding balance, taking up a hobby or two (like singing with a group, playing the guitar, sketching, painting, acting, yoga, kickboxing), traveling with Cambria, setting up a college fund for her, helping her memorize her math facts, volunteering more at her school, volunteering more in general ... the list goes on and on.

So I guess the best thing I can do is let time heal... and pick something from my list to do each day. And try to stop my brain from all its reckless and unhelpful chatter. 




Comments

Popular Posts