Going Back to School - Finding Success as a Single Parent


The expression “when it rains, it pours” can become all too familiar as a college student … who’s working full time … and is a single parent.

For me, it was an experience that was challenging, yet showed me what I was capable of achieving. After graduation, I was able to finally take a deep breath and reflect on the previous four years. How did I manage all that? How was I able to get my degree, while supporting my daughter?

Aside from not thinking too hard about everything I was juggling, there were some key tactics I used to succeed in my endeavors. 

1.     Find and maintain balance in life.
With so much going on, I needed to identify what was most important in my life – my daughter, my education, my work. Then I needed to let go of things like an active social life and other luxuries. I drove an inexpensive car, had no cable TV, bought a cheap cell phone, used dial-up internet (yep, probably one of the last to have that), and stuck to a strict budget. But I also made time for myself. It’s crucial to regenerate to avoid burn out (although I experienced this at times too). Establishing priorities allowed me to free up as much money, time and energy as possible to focus on what I really wanted to accomplish. Staying balanced was key to moving forward.
2.     Remain organized with deadlines and schedule.
I used a calendar, day planner, and phone reminders to help me stay on top of school assignments, work schedules, doctor appointments, and everything else that needed my attention. I’d print out the details of my assignments, study guides, bills, applications to government assistant programs (to relieve financial burden – take advantage of these!), etc. and order them in a way that allowed me to get whatever needed to be completed first done and off my mind.
3.     Give 100% attention to the present moment.
I attended all my classes and took notes, even if it wasn’t required. Simply writing notes throughout the lesson helps retain information. When it came time to study, I’d review my notes and go through my study guides, answering each question. But when I was with my daughter I always set aside time to give her my undivided attention before I studied. When I was at work I gave it all I had, which paid off because I had a couple regulars at my restaurant who ended up being Founder/CEO of a company and hired me on as an intern.

Life is what you make of it. If you decide something is important enough to give everything you can to achieving it, you’ll find a way to be successful. You’ll come up against a lot of “Can’ts” in this world. You have the power and the choice to turn those into “Cans.”

Comments

Popular Posts