An Introduction

Hi,

Okay so I’ve realized that I really just dove right into the meat of the issues that I’d like to express opinion about and since I’ve never done a blog before, I’m not sure if I should have given any kind of formal introduction first!

I’ll take a brief moment to do that now…

Somehow I’ve always felt like my life could be a movie. That might be a common thought, but I guess I’ve always looked at it like this: I’ve gone through some tough life experiences and come out okay so maybe those experiences could help someone else down the road. I do consider myself lucky in some respects, because I can look back on my life so far and identify some pretty significant “forks in the road” where different choices would have landed me way on the other side of the world I’m currently in.

I’ve never really considered myself one of those people who just kind of glide through life, unscathed by all the different highs and lows that certain events can bring you. I just feel very connected to my surroundings – both close and far. The genocide in Rwanda had one of the biggest impacts on my life and prompted my deep and strong passion to make a difference in the world. The awareness of teenage mentality and naivety (including my own) hit me hard as I was going through it. The reality of bipolar, depression and the overmedicated, misunderstood population of mental illness sufferers was observed within myself and my family. The immediate life-changing effect of rape and teen pregnancy – simultaneously – forced me to mature into an adult in 9 months and face the ongoing judgments and hardships of single parenthood. The ability to create a heightened level of awareness, happiness and connectedness – all without the use of drugs or external factors – enlightened my mind, heart and soul and ultimately developed me into the person I’m happy to be today.

I know what it means to work hard at something. I understand what is referred to as “rock bottom”. I relate to people who have felt discriminated and sympathize with those who still have to fight for equal rights. I know I’ve needed to grow up fast and feel as though I’ve done a good job. But I’m also cognizant of how young I am. I strive to constantly revive my beliefs and values, and I hold these dear to my heart. I’m passionate about what I believe is right, but I’m open minded to learning new perspectives. My favorite subject in College was Philosophy – the art of thinking well. I find inspiration in Buddhist monks and yogis. I try to exuberate love and compassion every day. I hope to achieve great things and inspire positive change in the world.

But if I really want to make a difference, I have to start somewhere. So I’m starting here.

Comments

Popular Posts