Day 54: Finding a Song to Sing

I hung out with my sister the other day, which was so nice. I'm so proud of her. It was great to catch up and she effectively inspired me with an idea to go to her school's open mic night with her. I've been aching to do an open mic night. I already have one song that my mom will play the piano for - it's a sappy, love song. But kind of perfect. "I Can't Make You Love Me" by Bonnie Raitt. Yep. Perfect.

However I am well aware that the song is a little too sad, so I'm going to find a couple others that are a little more upbeat. I have a couple in mind - "Maybe Not" by Cat Power and "Folding Chairs" by Regina Spektor. 

So I log in to Spotify, which Mauricio introduced to me. I haven't really used it very much. Turns out he's been sending me some music. The first album I listened to, I knew right away that he sent it because it reminded him of what I wanted to sing. Folk songs with incredible harmony. The group is called First Aid Kit and the album is The Big Black and the Big Blue. And yes, I love it. I just wish it didn't make me think of Mauricio.

I don't know what I need to do right now. All I know is that my voice has been screaming inside me to get out and it's about time I listened to that. Start somewhere, right? Try this "performer" thing out. 

If anyone has any suggestions on songs I should sing for my open mic, please let me know!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts