Day 57: The Four Agreements

If you haven't read The Four Agreements, I highly recommend it. I read it a long time ago, but I just started it again and it's so cool how it can be inspirational in a whole new way. 

One of the messages that really stuck out to me is to not take anything anything personal. To assume that someone's actions are purely based on effecting you is pretty selfish. We all have our own reasons for acting one way or another. Think about it - you play the star role of your life. Everyone else plays supporting characters. If you get into an argument with your significant other you may say or do things that hurt that person's feelings. But most of the time it's easy to justify why you did what you did. Even if you realize it was a mistake, or even if at the time you really did want to hurt their feelings, that wasn't the main reason you chose to act that way.

One of the reason's I like this idea so much is that it really allows you to let go of others' actions against you. For example, yesterday morning I was driving to work and my lane and the lane next to mine came to a merge. I slowed down to let the car to my right go ahead of me. As that car began to merge, the car behind it stayed within inches from its bumper - trying to force its way in too. The funny thing about this, was the lady driving the 2nd car appeared to me so frustrated with me. As if I was intentionally being a jerk and she had the right to go in front of me. It was so strange, I had to laugh. And not a menacing laugh - but a genuine, "wow if it's really that important to you, by all means..." laugh. It just seemed so funny to me that someone could work themselves up so much over such a small thing. I felt like I could suck it up and let the extra car go ahead in front of me.

The first thing that came to mind - "don't take things personally." It's a great attitude to have and sure does save a lot of personal energy.

Comments

Popular Posts