Day 38: Animals - the Best Healers

I'd like to take a moment to state the obvious - how great our pets make us feel. I consider myself so lucky to have the animals I have. 

Luna Kahuna, has a special story. It didn't start so well for him. He was originally found in a cardboard box on the side of the road. He was only a few weeks old and he was the only one who survived out of the other kittens with him. When I first saw him, I instantly fell in love with the little guy. And he deemed me as his Mommy. He immediately cuddled up to me and burried his head in my neck. He didn't act this way with anyone else. He still acts this way with me even though he's the size of a barn cat now. 

When we first got him, he was so young it was hard to tell his gender. We thought he was a girl - hence the name "Luna." When we were surprised to find out he was a boy a few months later, we couldn't get around to calling him anything else...hence the last name "Kahuna." He reminds me of the reality of unconditional love and I consider him part of our family - an additional child. My kitty boy. 

Skippy Jon Jones, a.k.a. Skippito Friskito, was an unexpected addition. He was brought to my house as a birthday present - not for me to keep, but for me to enjoy adorable kittens on my birthday. However, upon meeting the little guy, we realized he was meant to be part of our family as well. He was fondly named after our favorite children's book character, Skippy Jon Jones, a Siamese cat who wishes he was a Chihuahua. Awesome line of books - anyone would enjoy them. 

Azul, or Azulito, is our pet parakeet. He also has an amazing little personality and loves to chatter, especially with himself in his little mirror. We had talked about getting a bird for awhile and when I took the girls to the pet store to "look," we ended up meeting him and again, it was love at first site. We just knew he was meant to be part of our family. 

The point is, it's easy to take animals for granted. But these guys are so much more than they seem and you can develop such an amazing relationship with them. They love you and they don't expect anything in return. The bond you can create with your pet can't really be explained to someone who hasn't experienced this personally. I am so grateful for my two cats and one little bird. They perfectly complete our family.

Comments

Popular Posts