Day 52: Unconditional Love

I've realized lately that it's easy to take our pets for granted. Of course the past couple of months I've been very much aware of how thankful I am for my adorable, snuggly little cats. Sometimes I feel as though our lines of communication are more real and open than we give them credit for. 

For example, it never fails that when I'm really having a rough time, Luna takes notice. He'll stretch, yawn, paw at the air and then stroll over and lay on my head....purring. I'll wiggle out enough to get air, but tend to let him snuggle. I know he's protecting me and comforting me. Letting me know (quite obviously) that he's there for me. When I move around in my sleep, as I frequently do, Luna will accommodate me by repositioning himself into what any outside viewer would see as a baby hugging his mother. Burrowing his head into my neck. Yeah, it's pretty damn adorable. I can't help but laugh.

Skippito is similar, but his tactics are more subtle. He'll lightly tread over to me and gently curl up on top of my feet or right against my legs or sometimes, when he's feeling extra bold, he'll actually lay across my lap. He's very attentive too. He's just stare at me with his beautiful big eyes. And of the two, he's definitely more vocal. Sometimes it seems he just feels like talking (okay, meowing). He'll follow me around the house and just casually meow at me - as if to say, "How's it goin? Whatcha doin now? Can I come? Do you happen to have a toy mouse on you? I can fetch ya know...".

This is probably why I consider myself such an animal person. In fact, I have to be careful because I can see myself easily acquiring too many pets. It's just that animals have such an incredible way of truly knowing unconditional love. And that's all I ever want in my life - to love and to be loved. Unconditionally.


Skippy Jon Jones A.K.A. El Skippito Friskito

Comments

Popular Posts