Day 13: A Rare Perspective

It's so interesting to me how significant events compel us to see the world so differently. Typically, it's the extreme emotional times that heighten our senses. I've experienced this a number of times. Many times it's been when something tragic has happened, like a death in the family. There was one time in my early 20s when my doctor found a lump that could have been breast cancer. Other times I've been able to see through this unique lens simply because I was in an extremely good place and took the time to notice.

This perspective that I'm referring to is when you stop noticing the trivial things and start paying all of your attention to the important things. Today was hard. Really hard. I almost felt a little numb, but I realized I was almost elated. I saw the world in a way where I didn't care about all the trivialities or the traffic or the rude people or what I looked like or what people thought of me. I did however see the contrast of the mountains to the sky right after the sunset when the colors were deep blue and black. I listened to the most beautiful music (Sigur Ros) and breathed air deeply into my lungs. My experience of life was only what was most important. I was alive. Yes my heart hurt and my mind was confused (not to mention pounding). But...these were all reminders that I am alive.

It's easy to take for granted the miracle that we witness everyday in the simple fact that we are living. We exist. We feel. We have power and potential. Time is always changing everything. With every moment that passes we have the ability to make decisions, based of course on our best attempts to figure out the whys and hows and all the details and intricacies of our life.

We're all just doing the best we can. But hopefully the more we can remember this elegant perspective of the world, the easier it is to clearly see the important aspects of it. Then maybe that helps us make the best decisions we can.




P.S. I'm not very superstitious, but I've had a few "close calls" today with things like a random vase falling to the ground, but not breaking. I think the Universe might be protecting me today. Just from the little things that could seem to be a bigger deal than they are. But I really don't need anything extra to worry about right now. Happy Friday the 13th.
 

Comments

Popular Posts