Day 8: It's Okay if the Dustpan Doesn't Get Everything

So I'm sweeping again today and starting to catch on to why chores are so popular while on retreats or staying at an ashram. If you didn't know already, it's quite common to be assigned daily chores to be done in between deep mediation, yoga, chanting and spiritual awakenings. Many have found their greatest moments of enlightenment while scrubbing toilets.

Anyway, I'm sweeping the dirt into the dustpan and what do I do with that little line left over? One big swoosh of the broom and voila. It's "gone." Yes, like many others I too am sometimes a hypocrite. I really should practice what I preach. Or maybe just add an addendum to a previous post. 

I guess what I realized this time was that I'm doing the best I can right now. Should I go the extra mile and bring in the reinforcements to polish up that last bit of dust? Probably. But, sometimes enough is enough. I'm not saying my life couldn't be worse, because it most certainly could be. But I am saying that I've been doing the best damn job I can the last couple of weeks and for crying out loud am I such a bad person for not doing the job absolutely perfect this time? My house is in fairly good shape. There are no dishes in the sink. There's food in the fridge. I've changed the out the litter boxes. Taken out the trash. The laundry...well, okay it is time to do laundry, but we're not in dire circumstances.

The point is, we shouldn't be so hard on ourselves. There needs to be balance. In EVERYTHING. Maybe it's because I'm a Libra that I'm so set on this idea of balance. But it truly is the foundation of my life. It's imperative to understand what you need and what you want. And sometimes, what you need IS what you want. And it's okay to have that.

Image found: http://www.nimblefitness.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Healthy-Balance-1024x681.jpg

Comments

Popular Posts